Tuesday, January 20, 2009

My Heart and Soul Poured Out Into Words

In my senior year at Baylor, I have the opportunity to work with a group of incredible fourth grade students.  During my experience in the classroom this year, I have begun my lifelong journey in becoming the educator that I dream of being.  An interaction with a student that touched my heart was with a boy who has Asperberger's Syndrome, a mild form of autism in which the student lacks appropriate expression and has difficulty interacting with peers.  One day in class, I was searching for an overhead sheet with math vocabulary and he came up from behind me.  I asked him if he needed anything and he stated that he just wanted to give me a hug.  As he was running back to his seat, I realized why I had chosen this profession as a career. 

 My philosophy of education is to develop children's faith within themselves.  I believe that in order for a student to be successful, he or she must have the confidence to accomplish their dreams.  As an elementary teacher, I have learned the depth of children's vulnerability.  They cannot have faith in themselves if we don't have faith in them as educators.  Regardless of what learning styles a child possesses, I do believe that each student is capable of reaching his or her potential.  It is up to us as teachers to instill students' full capacity and celebrate their unique personalities while inside the classroom.  My goal is to teach with authenticity.  Faith in my students is an expression of my love for them.  Each child has something to offer.  It is up to a teacher to allow students to explore their gifts.  


1 comment:

Nancy said...

This really is good.
No. it's wonderful. mm