Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Sweet Ending to a Wonderful Experience

Today was the last day of my internship at Spring Valley.   After 28 weeks, 112 days and 896 hours, I had completed my 4th grade student teaching experience.  It's definitely overwhelming.  I feel like it's still just the first day of school when I was meeting them all for the very first time and trying desperately to learn their names.  

Today was really special.  My students had sad, droopy eyes when they came to class because they knew that today was the last day that we would be together.  Lots of hugs were given, last few questions were asked and teary eyed Miss Chambers loved on them all.  I wrote each of them a letter expressing how much I had enjoyed working with them this year.  I included my address with the letter so we could be pen pals this summer.  After I was in 4th grade, I was pen pals with my 4th grade teacher, Mrs. Meachum.  I absolutely loved her.  I thought she was the greatest.  I still have those letters tucked away in a shoe box back in my room in Dallas.  Pretty neat, huh? Maybe I will have 80 pen pals this summer.  :)

When the end of the day rolled around, 4th period was cut short and all of my students scurried out of the classroom.  I was left there confused until a few minutes later when Mrs. Humphrey called that she needed me for a minute. I walked into the hallway to find Kristina (my partner in crime) waiting in the hall too looking just as confused as I was.  We didn't know what was going on because all of the classrooms were empty (usually there is total chaos).  They took us to the AV room and find all 80 of our wonderful love bugs sitting quietly and excitedly when we come into the room.  In the middle of the room laid two giant totes filled with supplies that every first year teacher needs.  On one side of the bag had famous quotes from scholarly people in our history that understand the needs of teachers and the other side had all of the kids' signatures.  I burst into tears when I saw my kids so excited to present the bag of goodies to us. Mrs. Humphrey tried to say how much she has enjoyed working with Kristina and I but she was crying too.  Whew, lots of tears.  

After the tears were dried and mascara was cleared from underneath eyes, the kids got to tell one word of advice for us for next year when we are first year teachers.  Some of my favorite pieces of advice includes:

"Let them have recess all day when they are good."
"Go down to Austin to stop the printing of the TAKS test"
"Be strict, but not too strict"
"Always remember the golden rule"
"When a kid is bad, mark their chart"
"Treat students how you want to be treated."
"Make every lesson fun or kids will fall asleep"

Then we took one huge group picture with Miss Santen and I in the middle of our kids.  We took 3 serious pictures and then all of the sudden, there was a stampede of kids coming at us, hugging from every direction possible saying, "I love you, Miss Chambers. You are the best!"  

There is nothing better than hugs from kids that really love you for who you are.  They hold on tight, hoping that you never let go and forget them.  But how can you?  These wonderful little rascals have refined my philosophy of education in so many ways that I don't think I can fully express.  I do know that 110% that there is nothing I would rather do!!

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Wow. I'm so glad you wrote all that.
It brought tears to my eyes.