Sunday, September 14, 2008

Jumbled Thoughts

So I've attempted to do some homework this afternoon slash weekend, but my brain is everywhere. I think it's part of that time of our lives. Trying to figure out what we are going to do after we are handed our diplomas. Personally, I feel like I have taken this huge hunk of life and can barely chew on it let alone swallow it.

It's a whole new level of stress this year. Deciding what career path to take. Then there's trying to figure out how I will support myself. Then there is where am I going to live? Who else is thinking about living there? Am I going on a crazy idea that should be more grounded? What if it doesn't work out the way I have planned it will in my head? Just a handful of things that keep me laying in bed at night.

I have decided to apply for Teaching in Thailand. Part of me wants to chase an adventure. I would love to have the opportunity to teach a foreign country. I feel like it would make me a stronger teacher coming back to states from working with kids that are from a totally different culture from one that I have been accustomed to. Plus, as my dad would say, I can eat all of the Pad Thai I want. (He's a funny one).

Lighter note. My kids rock. I have realized from teaching that being 21, I have lost a part of me that was so genuine. The heart of a kid. My students don't stress out nearly as much as I do. Their biggest concern is "omgosh, Miss Chambers!! My pencil has broken. What do I do now?" or "Miss Chambers! I have run out of room on my sheet of notebook paper! What do I do?" (never dawns on them to simply turn the paper over, haha). They don't pet the small things. They enjoy the moment more. They believe that they are invincible and that they can conquer whatever their heart is set on, from beating everyone in the class in "Around the World" to dominating at Dodge Ball during recess.

Another fabulous aspect of my kids is that there is such a sense of community amongst them. One of my favorite things to do during my day is watching them interact with each other; from working in groups during class to listening to conversations that they carry with each other during lunch. The majority of them have been at Spring Valley since kindergarten so they been in class with each other for the last 5 years. They have such a sense of love for each other. It's so neat. They look past each other differences and just accept each other for who they are. They see each other's strengths and help each person strive to be the best that they can possibly be. And they are only 9!! Incredible little people. I just wish yall could see and experience what I do everyday. It's quite possibly the best thing ever.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

I just wanted you to know that I LOVE reading your blog. It is a delightful read!

It sounds as if you are a natural-born teacher, which is WONDERFUL. Those kids are lucky!
-Laura's mom, Nancy

laura said...

Haha. Gotta love my mom.

And really Claire? They don't pet the small things? Then what do you they do with them?