Sunday, October 5, 2008

Fall is Approaching

So it's been forever and a day (maybe more than a day) since I have written on my blog. I have begun full teaching, which is mix of nerves, patience, creativity and agility (or lack there of). Every time that I stand in front of my students and I teach, I feel like a total rookie. I hear myself giving directions and instructing a lesson and at the same time, I'm thinking "man, this could totally be better if I did (insert new and improved idea). But that's what an internship is all about, right? I have learned more this year than I have learned in my previous three years. Intern year has really broken me apart and made me get out of my comfort zone. I am doing things that I never imagined myself doing which is really neat. Maybe I am cut out to be a teacher.

Since I only have one night class, I have some free time every now and then. I am reading The Witch of Portobello. Laura recommended it to me. I'm really enjoying it. There is one particular quote that has really stuck out to me. It is:

"Dance until you are so out of breath than your body is forced to obtain oxygen some other way, and it is that, in the end, that will cause you to lose your identity and your relationship with space and time. Dance only to the sound of percussion; repeat the process every day; knowing that, at a certain moment, your eyes will, quite naturally, close, and you will begin to see a light that comes from within, a light that answers your questions and develops your hidden powers."

Back in the day I danced. And in ways, I wish I could drop everything and go and audition for companies across the nation, have leading roles in Swan Lake and Giselle and travel to the Paris Opera House and dance in front of thousands of people. It's still one of my dreams. To dance in some shape of form. I've had the dream since I was a little kid and I feel in ways, the dreams that you had as a kid are never let go.

1 comment:

laura said...

It's already Fall Claire. Fall started sometime in September.

And YEAH you're cut out to be a teacher! You're gonna be great.