Saturday, October 25, 2008

Over halfway there


I have completed nine weeks of teaching for my internship year.  From day one, I feel like I have been on a roller coaster.  I had no idea what to expect what it was going to be like, teaching all day.  My brain feels like it's bursting with knowledge which is interesting because I don't have textbooks to read and study.  It's all just what I do day in and day out.  I've learned more than I ever imagined when I got my placement in August.  I have a list of ideas of what I am going to do when I have my own classroom in less than a year. Wow, wrap your mind around that.  In less than a year, I will be in full control of what students' success will be. Nervous? Absolutely. Excited? 110%. Ready? Almost, but not quite.

I have fallen in love with 4th grade.  I could totally see myself being a 4th grade teacher one day.  I love the fact that you can be sarcastic with your students.  And I love how they can carry a normal conversation with you. It's great.  They are so fun.  They make my day everyday.  It's never a dull moment when I go to school in the morning.  The constant questions that I get are "Are you married?" and "Do you have a boyfriend?" I feel like I have single plastered on my forehead because my roommates have significant others,  but apparently to them, I seem like I'm not.  

Students still get crushes on their teachers.  Kristina, my partner in crime in 4th grade, is Miss Pretty to Matthew O'Bryant and I'm the future Mrs. Calhoun to Andy.  They still give out cooties shots, which is one of my favorite parts of recess.  The girls distributing cooties shots while my boys are playing football. 

One of the neatest things that I have learned from me is how they still believe in loving people for who they are.  They are the age before people begin poking fun at others for their differences or call out on imperfections.  They love each other deep down and it's soo refreshing.  I think that's why I'm drawn to my career.  

Okay, I've got to start grading my stack of papers.  4 homework assignments for each student times 80 students, then dividing each group of papers for every students by 4 to get an average homework grade for the week, plus alphabetizing them to transport the information into the grade book is my first activity of the weekend.  I have two sticky notes in my planner of things I have to get done.  Stressful but I still love it. Alot.


No comments: