Monday, December 29, 2008

shabam! I learned the dance to "All My Single Ladies"

By popular demand (aka. Christy Davis) I'm writing maybe my last blog post of 2008.

Does anyone else feel like they just mastered writing the perfect 8 in 2008 and now it's time to write 2009?

I met Chris from SYTYCD last weekend. He dated one of my ballet friends at SMU. I tried to play it cool when we exchanged introductions but inside I was like "OMGOSH!!! You know the love of my life, Gev!" Of course my ballet buds read right through me and exchanged glances back and forth at me. Chris and I are now friends on facebook. It's pretty rad.

I love seeing the girls that I danced with. We try to see each other twice a year when we are all home for breaks. Brittany is a dance major at SMU, Hilary is a musical theatre major at Boston Conservatory and Elizabeth is a history major at Princeton. Although we are all over the place, it's like we never skip a beat when we see each other. I think that what true friends can have. Being able to not see each other for a long period of time and then pick up where they left off when they see each other again.

They were my rat pack when I was the aspiring ballet dancer. We were with each other through all of the blood (yes, blood. I have a collect of pointe shoes I've bleed through and there were there with the advil, masking tape and cotton balls to fill in our shoes to mask the pain), sweat and tears. They are wonderful.

One of my favorite things about us is that when we are together, we unintentionally dance wherever we go. True story. We are walking into a bar on McKinney Ave and Beyonce's "Single Ladies" dance. I've sat in front of a computer for hours at a time trying to perfect the dance so then I can I know it but long behold, all four of us know it by heart and procede to perform right there in the club. Ah, it was great. We are laughing hysterically knowing that everyone there must think we are crazy. Little did they know, they are the crazy ones for not knowing such a hot dance.

I've been working on applications for jobs over the break. It's stressful. I keep thinking how many teachers are there wanting jobs? Hundreds. How will I stand out in a sea of them? I have no idea. Still working that one out. Maybe I should perform "All My Singles Ladies" for them. That might my foot in the door. haha, jk.

On a spontaneous note, I've realized that dancing is still a huge part of what feds my spirit. I feel like I have closed the book on something that still had chapters that needed to be written. Dancing somehow rejunevates my soul in a way that I can't describe in words. I miss wearing a leotard and tights in a studio while there are bullets of sweat streaming down my face. When I finally get settled in my new life after May, I'm finding a studio to dance. Who knows, maybe I will perfect my skills in order to audition for SYTYCD. That would be wild.

Hope all is well with everyone that reads my random thoughts.

Love,
Claire

3 comments:

laura said...

it took me awhile to figure out what SYTYCD stood for. The comment at the end about auditioning for it made me realize what it was though.

And I expect a performance of that dance when we are back in Waco

ChristyDelaine said...

Claire! that is so awesome you learned that dance...I have spent quite a bit of time watching that dance as well, but I have no intention of learning it...but I agree with Laura and I want to see you do that dance!

Anonymous said...

hi, claire. i had friends on new years eve that were dancing TO that song, but not doing the actual dance. you are a step above. pun completely intended. looking forward to seeing you again soon.