Sunday, June 22, 2008

insert funny subject line here

Hello!

Whew, it's Sunday afternoon and Waco is sunny and beautiful.  Tinsley and I just finished having breakfast at our cute little table in the kitchen.  She made cereal and I made pancakes with sprinkles (apparently no one else put sprinkles in their pancakes as a kid except for Grace and I).  During our breakfast, we have come to the conclusion that we wish we had studied abroad with all of our friends last semester.  And then it dawned on us.  Let's go travel for a month after we graduate and before we have to be actual adults! Anyone want to join?  We want to backpack all over Europe, packing as light as possible and taking as many pictures as possible.  Recipe for brillance? umm yes.

I took the Generalist EC-4 Exam yesterday morning at 8am.  Sick out, it was 110 questions long.  By the time I got to question 60, I was thinking "are you kidding, me?"  Now, the Generalist is no kicks and giggles.  It's everything ranging from Social Studies trivia that you should know from K-5th,  along with Math, Science, P.E., Art and Music content in those grades as well.  For the Literacy portion, you read a scenario and based on the grade level in the question, the TEKS that are presented in the question, the theorist that is being followed after by the teacher in the question (ie. Vgotsky, Piaget, Skinner) you pick the most logical answer.  It's not as black and white as you would wish, saying something like a math question.  It's more analytical.  

Fun story, though.  When I was in 3rd grade, I missed some school due to a flu illness and when I came back a few days later, I had to take a test in Science.  It covered material about clear prisms and what happens when light catches it and sends beams of rainbow colored lights through it.  I failed the test.  In 3rd grade, I thought to myself "why did i just take a test on stuff that I will never need to know" and long behold, yesterday on the generalist there was a question about the clear prisms used in a science lesson.  Little did I know that 12 years later, I would be at Baylor taking a Generalist to become certified as a teacher and that question would be on it! crazy.

No comments: