Sunday, July 6, 2008

Red. White and can't forget Blue

Hello!

The title for my blog felt appropriate for this weekend. Today at church, all of the men who served in war would stand up when their particular music was played during worship. It brought tears to my eyes to see all of the senior citizens who would stand up proud for what branch that they had fought in. Both of my parents' dads were in the Army. Grandpa Hooley fought but got injured so he was sent home early in World War II. Grandpa Chambers was drafted into the war at 18 years, just after he graduated high school. While at war, he also got severly injuted but then got captured in Europe and was held as a prisoner of war for 19 months, the end of the war finally releasing him. When he came back home to Fort Wayne, he weighed less than a 100 pounds and still severly wounded. Because of his heroic acts, he received the purple heart. how incredible is that? It was one of the neatest moments today to see goosebumps form on my dad's arms when the army music was played and he could see all of the brave men like his father stand proud. What an incredible country that we are so blessed to be living in. Sometimes I feel like I can take it for granite. But think about. We are free to choose what major we wish to pursue in college, free to choose who our friends are, free to drive wherever we please in our cars, free to practice our religion of choice, free to speak our thoughts. Isn't that fantastic? I love America.

Overall, the weekend was enjoyable. A group of us went out to Addison to Kaboom Town for the 4th. It was a lot of fun. A bunch of people that work with me at the CREW came out so it was neat to see them behind the walls of polos and madras shorts. Lots of traffic though, I would recommend hitch-hiking back to Plano if you are adventurous.

I also wakeboarded again this weekend! It was me, Kelz, Mr. Baker and a couple of kelsey's friends from OU. I've learned how to turn the board to skim the water a bit more but still crash on my face. haha, we went tubbing too which was a lot of fun. O yea, and I have a wicked sunburn. It's only on the tops of my legs (via. Wakeboard) and on my back. We stopped the boat in the middle of the afternoon and laid out. I laid on my stomach because my legs were burned but I forgot to put sunscreen on my back. silly me. o yea, and my wet ponytail was perfectly aligned on my back as well. haha, it's pretty rad. the suntan, I mean. haha

That evening Paul, Jeremy, and I headed up to Legacy Town Center and had dinner at Taco Diner. Then we headed out to Jeremy's for cards (actually the game was called Phase 10) and played Wii. I dominated at Phase 10, by a landslide. In case, you didn't know. Girls always land with their two feet planted firmly in the ground, regardless what we are doing. Running, studying, working, cards, dancing, cooking, always come out on top.

No comments: