Thursday, July 31, 2008

Sick to My Stomach

No, I'm not literally sick. After walking out of my final exam last semester in Early Learning Literacy, I have had this knot in my stomach that grows as more stress accumulates about the novel that we are all about crack open, entitled Post-College.

People tell me that I'm one of those that seem to have everything together, that I never let anything really get me down. That I take situations when they come and learn from them. That I never let anything really freak me out. News flash. I'm an excellent actress.

This summer, I've been working two jobs, both of which are fields of occupation that I could never see myself doing for the next 30+ years. One job is great pay, little transportation needed (which is golden because gas prices are mind-bogging right now), and has a wonderful incentive. My mom works right across the hall from me. Now, I know most of you would think "what?! you work with your mom? You must be out of your mind." But little do you know, my mom is one of the two people that I admire most in this world (the other one is her hubby). She is strong, smart, driven and has such a wonderful heart. She takes life's challenges head on and doesn't let anything defeat her. I aspire to be like her. She tells me that my zest for life, sense of humor and love for people will carry me far. Hopefully she is accurate.

Capital Title is filled with woman that has all different backgrounds. The majority of them might make you look twice. They have stories that I have never heard. J Crew is my other form of income. On the outside, everyone is all prepped out and classy, but when you get underneath the argyle sweaters and skinny ties, there is world of unstable jobs, drama and low incomes.

I plan on being a teacher Post-College. I would love to teach in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Right now, I have my heart set on teaching in a private school in Dallas. It sounds like a grand adventure, but underneath my shield of confidence, I'm scared out of my mind. I'm scared of the unknown. Not really knowing what to expect when I come across situations that I have never dealt with. Is anyone feeling this too?

The ultimate theme for the novel called Post College is this, whatever I pursue will be something that I absolutely love and have a passion for. Regardless of where I am living, how much I am making, how far I have to drive, etc., none of it will matter. As long as I have loving what I do, then everything else will fall into place.

3 comments:

Miss Chambers's Wisdom said...

excuse me for my spelling errors throughout this post as well. I was in the midst of trying to multi-task at work.

laura said...

i feel like most people are anxious about they're post college plans. if they aren't they are crazy and have no heart. we're all in this together

robert said...

yeah, ditto laura's comment. And you know what, I think maybe we are all a little TOO anxious---remember that we were the biggest, brightest, and best freshman class at Baylor!