Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A Day Filled With Bottomless Bliss

Today was my first day as Miss Chambers, the 4th grade teacher at Spring Valley Elementary.  

One word: Perfect

I got to school at 7:30 this morning (yes, I know. Nobody in the right mind would be up at this hour, but a select few of us have a heart to teach and I've got a big one that is bursting at the seams). 

My 19 students filed into my class around 7:50.  Nervousness was plastered all over their faces.  They didn't know what to expect or how the day was going to go. Little did they know that I felt the exact same way.  My teacher, Mrs. Mataleska (try saying that name 6 times) introduced herself and welcomed everyone to 4th grade.  After introductions, she states "Now, if you turn your chairs around you will find Miss Chambers, my wonderful Intern!" 38 eyeballs were instantly on me. scary thought.  I then walked to the front of the class and did a mini get to know you worksheet where I would state a fact and the kids would decide if it was true or false. We then went around the room and everyone would say one introducing fact about themselves.  My kids are wonderful.  Full of zest of spunk. 

The morning was filled with handing out textbooks, labeling school supplies, finding homes for their backpacks and lunch boxes and learning the different procedures for school.  Next came specials where they went to each of their specials' teachers (music, art, pe, and technology).  During this hour, Mrs. Mateleska and I sat and tried to compose our sanity.  After that, we went to lunch, recess, ran through our schedules (I actually teach 76 students) and then car pool duty (100 degree weather, outside for an hour. sounds like a ball, eh?) 

Overall, it was the perfect beginning to a wonderful day.  Everyone should change their major to education. 

No comments: