Thursday, August 21, 2008

Miss Chambers's 4th Grade Class at Spring Valley Elementary

What a crazy last couple of days!

Tuesday, I came into Waco.  All of my roommates came in that day as well (Tinsley, Elise, Laura and Rachael) and it was simply wonderful.  It was like it was just an ordinary day, nothing has changed between us.  Except the fact that we are all more beautiful and are wiser. Then Wednesday, I had my CPR Training here at school with 30 or so other fellow future teachers.  It was so good to see people that I usually see everyday.  We are a riot, the school of education.  Full of zest and spunk.  The poor teachers who were trying to administer the CPR training and we are trying to reenact crazy trauma stories with our dummies. haha, o the ridiculousness of the future teachers.

Then TODAY everyone got their placement for next year for their internship.  You would have thought it was Christmas morning the way everyone was running around with sheets of paper telling what grade they were teaching and with what teacher.  I am (drumroll please......teaching.......4TH GRADE! at Spring Valley Elementary. It's in Midway ISD.  (sidenote.  after I finish writing this post, I am going to have to venture out and find out where this school is located because I have no idea where Midway is on a map.) Today, we had our last intern orientation where they went through all of the calendar dates that for this school year, what is to be expected of us as educators, etc. etc. etc. Then, I met my mentor Baylor professor.  She is the essence of Mr. Falker from Patricia Polacco's book (except that she is a girl and her name is Grady Cox).  She is a delight.  She gave all 20 of the interns a bottle of anti-bacterial to put on our desks (apparently we are going to get "teacher" desks next year) because she doesn't want to see any of her girls getting sick.  And she is super chill and funny! I enjoy funny people.

But yes, I'm going to be having a year long internship this year.  It's mind-boggling right now.  All of my roommates have went out and bought their textbooks at the bookstore whereas I am filing out paperwork to get a teacher ID and making sure I know the guidelines on how to write my lessons.  It's like everyone else is still a college student and me and the rest of the education majors are being all adult-like.  Kinda crazy.  But totally awesome at the time same. It's like a oxymoron.  But here are some of the highlights for being an intern rather than just a normal everyday Baylor student that I feel the need to share.

1.  We are done teaching the week before Thanksgiving and that's it! whereas everyone else will have finals to study for and the rest of us will have a month or so to do whatever we please.  Same thing happens in the Spring ( we get done a month or so before everyone else).  I will probably be substitute teaching in Midway ISD.  
2.  We observe both the school we are working for and Baylor's holidays. 
3.  Fridays we have off from teaching (we just have seminars that we have to go to.
4.  We get to get dressed up everyday (okay, maybe not everyone likes this part but I absolutely love it. Dress code is pretty fierce in some school districts, especially for the boys that are teaching.  A lot of school districts don't allow guys to have facial hair.  It has to be clean shaven.
5.  You get to do something all day everyday that you absolutely love
6.  You have all of your education major sidekicks to help you when you freak out about writing a particular lesson plan.
7.  There are parties in the elementary schools. 
8.  That's all I can think of right now.  More will probably come to me when I have actually started teaching.  


1 comment:

laura said...

I'm so excited for you claire! i'm glad i live with you so i can hear all about it. i would trust you with my child