Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Little Things in Life

I thought today was going to be just an ordinary day at Capital Title.

I was wrong.

I was researching Teach For America online and I was reading through the requirements of what you needed to apply. I then heard someone cough and I looked up. Matt and Parker were standing in the doorway of my office! I looked back at my computer and then thought, wait what? Matt and Parker. What are they doing at work? I look back at them and they are both standing there like little kids, not really knowing what to do with themselves in the office. I get up and we made some small talk. They had gone to lunch at Corner Bakery, so they decided to come visit me at work. (Actually, Matt said it was Parker's idea to come visit me at work, but I believe it was mutual). It definitely made my day.

For awhile, I've been anxious about the future. Not knowing what is going to happen in the next year after I gradute freaks me out. I hate not knowing the unknown. I wish I was sent a text message once a week that told me my future plans in pieces so in baby steps, I would know what was going to happen next in my life. But life doesn't work out that way. A friend once gave me this verse:

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34

Easier said than done, right? But then I take a step back and ponder what I enjoy most about my life. It's definitely the small things. Like Matt and Parker coming to visit me. I think it's the small things that help us get through the rocky points. I sometimes overlook the wonderful blessings that I have given. Like my lofties. I could not have picked more wonderful girls to live with for three years. They are my strength and are so encouraging. I also adore my family. And teaching children. Silly, Claire. Too many things to appreciate to be distracted by worry.

Julia gave me this Spiritual Gift Analysis test. I took it yesterday during work. Here are my results (I think they are kind of interesting.) My top 5 are...

1. Faith-the ability to see God's purpose in a situation and to trust his wisdom and power to accomplish that purpose.
2. Intercession-the ability to pray often and with unusual perseverance with the result that answers to prayer requests are experienced in a remarkable way.
3. Exhortation-the ability to bring out the best in other by means of encouraging, challenging, comforting and guilding. Essentially it is the gift of counseling others to become all that God wants them to be.
4. Mercy-the ability to feel sincere compassion beyond normal Christian sympathy for persons who are in distress and to provide practical support to meet their needs.
5. Wisdom-the unique capactiy to understand how to apply biblical truths to problems or opportunities which face a group of believers.

Interesting, huh? I feel like these strengths desribe me very well in many ways and in others not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_8hFfy1DL0
Watch this. It's one of my favorite pieces from SYTYCD

2 comments:

laura said...

Miss Claire, don't worry. Things will fall into place. You just do it, you know? And then it happens. And then you'll look back and think, "Wow, look at all I've done!" That's kind of what college has been like, right? You just do it. And you've done so much! And you still have a whole 'nother year! A lot can happen in a year.

robert said...

I kinda decided just to stop worrying about everything. I mean, I still worry, but just don't let it get to me. I think that no matter what situation we find ourselves in, we are all bright enough to make happen whatever we want to happen.